Green Pea Minestrone Soup
about 25 mins
- 3 litres water (or 3 litres homemade vegetable stock if not using stock cubes)
- 2 low salt vegan stock cube (optional)
- 1 tbsp dried basil
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 3-4 crushed garlic cloves crushed and chopped fine
- 2 green chillies slit lengthways
- 1 can of chopped tomatoes (double the fresh if want to avoid cans)
- 4 fresh large tomatoes, diced
- 2 potatoes, diced into small cubes
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1 large handful of green beans, diced
- 1 head of broccoli into florets, diced including stalks
- 1 cup of frozen or fresh peas
- 1 can of butter beans or cannellini or haricot beans
- 1 courgette, diced
- 1 cup of wholewheat pasta (or gluten free brown rice pasta if gluten-free)
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh black pepper
- Salt (optional)
- Red Chilli flakes (optional)
- Handful of fresh basil leaves, chopped
Step by Step Instructions
In a large pan, add 3 litres of boiling water, add the stock cubes, dried basil, onion, garlic, chillies, both canned and fresh tomatoes and bring to boil. Keep chopping vegetables and adding as you go along.
Add potatoes and carrots next as they take longer to cook. Keep pan covered and on medium heat.
After approximately 10 minutes, add the beans and broccoli. After another ten minutes add the peas, can of butter beans, courgette and the pasta last. Add some more hot water if you feel the need.
Bring to the boil and then cover and simmer for 10 or 12 min until pasta is al dente. Check potatoes are cooked.
Season to taste with salt and pepper. Add basil as a garnish and sprinkle on red chilli flakes if you like the heat.
Serve hot with seeded rye bread or gluten-free bread. Leftovers make great next day lunches.
Spicy Falafel Saladby Holly AdelaideServes 4Good for: LunchTime: 20 mins prep30 mins cookIngredientsFor the falafels 2 cans chickpeas (400g), drained and rinsed 1 onion, finely diced 1 tsp ground cumin 1 tsp ground coriander ½ tsp cayenne pepper 4 tbsp lemon juice 4...
Chocolate Orange Porridgeby Holly Adelaide Serves 1Good for: BreakfastTime: 15 minutesIngredients 45g porridge oats 250ml plant milk 2 tbsp cacao powder 2 satsumas, peeled 1 tsp cacao nibs or dark chocolate chips Step by Step Instructions Step 1 Place the porridge...
Sweet Potato and Mixed Bean Chilliby Holly Adelaide Serves 4Good for: Lunch,DinnerTime: 15 mins prep50 mins cookIngredients 600g sweet potato, peeled and cut into cubes 1 can (400g) kidney beans, drained and rinsed 1 can (400g) black beans, drained and rinsed 2 cans...