Green Pea Minestrone Soup
about 25 mins
- 3 litres water (or 3 litres homemade vegetable stock if not using stock cubes)
- 2 low salt vegan stock cube (optional)
- 1 tbsp dried basil
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 3-4 crushed garlic cloves crushed and chopped fine
- 2 green chillies slit lengthways
- 1 can of chopped tomatoes (double the fresh if want to avoid cans)
- 4 fresh large tomatoes, diced
- 2 potatoes, diced into small cubes
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1 large handful of green beans, diced
- 1 head of broccoli into florets, diced including stalks
- 1 cup of frozen or fresh peas
- 1 can of butter beans or cannellini or haricot beans
- 1 courgette, diced
- 1 cup of wholewheat pasta (or gluten free brown rice pasta if gluten-free)
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh black pepper
- Salt (optional)
- Red Chilli flakes (optional)
- Handful of fresh basil leaves, chopped
Step by Step Instructions
In a large pan, add 3 litres of boiling water, add the stock cubes, dried basil, onion, garlic, chillies, both canned and fresh tomatoes and bring to boil. Keep chopping vegetables and adding as you go along.
Add potatoes and carrots next as they take longer to cook. Keep pan covered and on medium heat.
After approximately 10 minutes, add the beans and broccoli. After another ten minutes add the peas, can of butter beans, courgette and the pasta last. Add some more hot water if you feel the need.
Bring to the boil and then cover and simmer for 10 or 12 min until pasta is al dente. Check potatoes are cooked.
Season to taste with salt and pepper. Add basil as a garnish and sprinkle on red chilli flakes if you like the heat.
Serve hot with seeded rye bread or gluten-free bread. Leftovers make great next day lunches.
Roasted Squash, Kale and Quinoa saladThis warm salad is a filling and delicious packed lunch. It has three portions of fruit and vegetables and a source of omega-3s from the walnuts. Squash is packed with powerful carotenoids and kale is a fantastic source of calcium,...
Creamy Mushroom, Leek and Pea RisottoThis creamy risotto recipe is the perfect midweek meal. It is quick to make and feels so comforting. It is inspired by the traditional risotto recipes from Italy, but this version is free of the cholesterol and high amounts of...
Spicy Falafel Saladby Holly AdelaideServes 4Good for: LunchTime: 20 mins prep30 mins cookIngredientsFor the falafels 2 cans chickpeas (400g), drained and rinsed 1 onion, finely diced 1 tsp ground cumin 1 tsp ground coriander ½ tsp cayenne pepper 4 tbsp lemon juice 4...