Green Pea Minestrone Soup
about 25 mins
- 3 litres water (or 3 litres homemade vegetable stock if not using stock cubes)
- 2 low salt vegan stock cube (optional)
- 1 tbsp dried basil
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 3-4 crushed garlic cloves crushed and chopped fine
- 2 green chillies slit lengthways
- 1 can of chopped tomatoes (double the fresh if want to avoid cans)
- 4 fresh large tomatoes, diced
- 2 potatoes, diced into small cubes
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1 large handful of green beans, diced
- 1 head of broccoli into florets, diced including stalks
- 1 cup of frozen or fresh peas
- 1 can of butter beans or cannellini or haricot beans
- 1 courgette, diced
- 1 cup of wholewheat pasta (or gluten free brown rice pasta if gluten-free)
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh black pepper
- Salt (optional)
- Red Chilli flakes (optional)
- Handful of fresh basil leaves, chopped
Step by Step Instructions
In a large pan, add 3 litres of boiling water, add the stock cubes, dried basil, onion, garlic, chillies, both canned and fresh tomatoes and bring to boil. Keep chopping vegetables and adding as you go along.
Add potatoes and carrots next as they take longer to cook. Keep pan covered and on medium heat.
After approximately 10 minutes, add the beans and broccoli. After another ten minutes add the peas, can of butter beans, courgette and the pasta last. Add some more hot water if you feel the need.
Bring to the boil and then cover and simmer for 10 or 12 min until pasta is al dente. Check potatoes are cooked.
Season to taste with salt and pepper. Add basil as a garnish and sprinkle on red chilli flakes if you like the heat.
Serve hot with seeded rye bread or gluten-free bread. Leftovers make great next day lunches.
Sweet potato pattiesby Dr Sunni Patel For more inspiration, you can follow Dr Sunni Patel on Instagram @dishdashdeets Sweet potatoes support gut health as they contain both soluble and insoluble fibre as well as immunity and skin health from their source of...
LasagneFrom Kate Dunbar, Patient AdvocateServes 4Good for: Lunch, DinnerTime: 1 hourIngredientsRed sauce: 1 can beans of choice ½ cup olives 1 red pepper chopped 1 medium red onion chopped 100g mushrooms chopped Garlic to taste (3 cloves) 1 tin chopped tomatoes, or...
Chocolate BrowniesFrom Lu RussellServes 6+Good for: DessertTime: 50 minsIngredients 1 cup puréed sweet potato 1 cup almond butter/peanut butter or stewed apple for low fat option 2 tbsp flour of choice (oat, spelt, rice) ¼ cup almond flour 2 heaped tsp baking powder ½...